So as those who know me and read my blog, I’m going through some pretty severe and crushing depression. Through conversations with people about what’s going on, I’ve decided that there are two important things I need to start doing:
- Progressing. Moving forward. Being productive, even in small increments. As my roommate pointed out to me recently during a game of pool, I am markedly happier when I’m being productive and doing things to improve my life. I’m also markedly happier when I’m crushing my roommate at pool, which I absolutely did.
- Tracking and celebrating my accomplishments. Sometimes, even small accomplishments are worth celebrating. Getting out of bed, for example. Or doing laundry, which I hate. I’m not even sure why I hate it so much. The laundry machine does the lion’s share of the work. I’m more of a laundry transporter than anything, yet I haaaate it.
So that’s what I’m going to try for the forseeable future. Logging my accomplishments, and celebrating them. We’ll see how it works out, starting today. Today I accomplished:
- Dyeing my hair. I’ve been putting it off for a while, and I did it.
- Met with, and cried at, a dear friend of mine. Getting honest about how I have been feeling was deeply cathartic, and she gave me some great advice and support. Also I ate apple pie, which was pretty good too.
- Cleaned out my car and cleaned the kitchen.
- Did three loads of laundry, which is three more than I would ideally do if given the option, but it needed to be done and I can’t afford a maid. Wait, can I afford a maid? No, probably not. Unless I stopped drinking Starbucks, but that’s not going to happen.
- Set up a chiropractor appointment.
- Wrote this blog post. Which totally counts.
Here’s to happier and more productive days ahead!